I have socks!!!!!!!
I was a little excited to have finished these, yes I did have a dopey grin on my face all evening once these were done. In my head I have a list of things I want to try or learn, I really should write a blog post on here listing them all done. Knitting a pair of socks had been on my list for years, I can √ that one off now. The pattern I used was Rye by Tin Can Knits. I can not emphasize enough how great this pattern is.
- The pattern looks fancy with the decorative detail on the front but it really simple to do
- There is are tutorial that goes along with the pattern
- The one pattern has all the sizes you need to make it from baby to adult male
- You use DK yarn so they knit up so fast
Down the front of these runs a panel that goes from the cuff to the toes so the entire length of the sock. I thought oh no I am going to struggle with this, what am I thinking my first ever pair of socks and I am going to throw in a stitch pattern which I have to remember as well! The fancy panel is actually done in Garter stitch, once you add in a couple of stitch markers it is extremely simple to do. I like the texture of it on the front, it breaks the sock up a little bit.
I started these on Oct 2nd and finished them on the 14th. To be honest I did get a little bit stuck when I got to my toes and I had to put these down for a couple of days until I spoke to my friend at my knitting guild group. The only reason I got stuck was I did these on magic loop and when I started working on the foot section I took off all the additional stitch markers I had on my needles for the gusset and repositioned the stitches on my needles so the garter stitch panel was on one needle again. When I read the pattern and it said to count from marker.. I didn’t have that marker anymore so I didn’t know where I was to start counting from. I hadn’t slept properly so brain wasn’t fully functional, I started watching youtube clips on toe decreases and got even more confused. That was the Thursday I put them down until Saturday. When I picked them up on the Saturday suddenly I could see logically where I needed to start my decreases, it was from the side of each foot. Once I double checked with my friend that I would be doing it right I finished these that afternoon including doing the Kitchener stitch. I purchased an Ann Budd Craftsy class recently and followed the Kitchener stitch lesson as I did my stitch. I remembered not to strangle my stitches like I did in the class that I took. Kitchener stitch is kind of like hand sewing with yarn but unlike regular sewing you don’t pull your stitches tight you keep the same tension you have knitted with.
The yarn I used is Fyberspates Coops Socks Yeah DK in Hecate. It comes in 50g skeins so I used one for each sock. I did buy a 3rd skein which I had on standby in case I ran out of yarn. I used a 4mm bamboo needle. If I was to make these again I don’t think I would use a bamboo needle. I was knitting tight and the yarn was sticking to the needles at times. Once you get started the needles do warm up a little and become easier but it did feel like I was fighting my needles more than I should have.
I have worn these around the house and they are comfortable. As far as allergies they weren’t itchy on, they were warm and snuggly without being hot. I wore them for a few hours on a wet and windy afternoon which was perfect sock weather. The test to see if I can wear them or not will be to wear them and go for a walk in my sneakers for a couple of hours. For around the home to throw on instead of slippers they should be fine so now I want to get more yarn and do some winter socks for next year.