I finished my tea set. I hand painted all my fabrics using Liquid Radiance. I used various techniques to create patterns and prints on the fabrics. This has to be the most planned out tea set I’ve ever made. Once again I used the pattern I used was Ric Rac’s Tea Set. It is a great pattern.
On the cups for the outside fabric I used the piece of I created via heliography. The stars are randomly placed on each panel of the tea cup. I could have fussy cut the pieces if I wanted to but instead I just folded the fabric in half right sides together and pinned my pattern pieces so I was cutting 2 pieces at once. What each panel got on then became random. When piecing the cups together I tried to get a variety of star coverage so one cup didn’t end up with heaps and another with very little.
On the inside of each up I used the pole wrapped fabric. Each cup has one darker piece in it and the rest light fabrics which were the various layers of the fabric wrapped around the pole. For the inside bases of the cups I used the spotted fabric I created by heliography and air exclusion. I did 2 pink and 2 purple.
On the handles and the bases for all the items (plates, cups, teapot) I used the stripped fabric I created by folding the fabric. My original plan was always to use this for the handles but by chance I got all the bases done from it too which ties all the pieces together.
I also used the spotted pieces as the centre of the plates again 2 pink 2 purple. For the top side of the plates I used some of the fabric I salted to create patterns. Again keeping with the them I did 2 pink 2 purple.
The teapot lid is made from the mop up fabric piece I had. On the spout, handle and main section I used the 2 fabrics which I created using the scrunch and fold technique. Each piece of fabric had different colours and marble lines through it so I alternated the pieces on the main section. The spout and handle have one piece of each fabric on them.
Sadly I forgot to take a picture of them all together but as you can see they all match and make a lovely set. They are mostly all the same tones pink and purples but the different amount that of paint I put on each piece and the other colours which I added to it slightly changed the appearance on each piece of fabric. I loved trying out the different techniques of heliography, air exclusion, salting that created the different patterns and textures on the fabric.
I have bits of fabric leftover from cutting out the various pieces. I have no idea what I will use it for yet. I’m finding it hard to let go of these scraps as I made them.