Tablet Cover

Leasa set a Sew My Stash 2015 challenge this week based on a Valentines Day. You needed to make a project that incorporated hearts into the design. I don’t make Valentine things but I do adore hearts so I decided to show some love for my tablet and make it a case as for a number of months it has just been wrapped in a bit of fabric to store and protect it.

Tablet Cover Front

After much searching online I finally found this tutorial. I’ve only ever made simple zipper pillows and nothing complicated like a lined pouch. The front piece is the machine embroidery panel I made last year. I drew hearts on it with a frixon pen than quilted over the lines. Unfortunately the pen lines didn’t disappear when I ironed it. I’m not sure if it was just this fabric as I had it happen to me before on another project. Hopefully it comes out when I wash it.

Tablet Cover Lining

As per the tutorial I quilted all my pieces. I stuck with straight line quilting playing around with each piece. Some have diagonal lines, some have simple rectangles or diamonds. Each time I used my the width of my walking foot as a guide to space out the lines. I really enjoyed designing all the quilting on this. I had to really think how I would fill the space of each fabric. It really gave me a chance to try quilting. I had to think of where to place the walking foot. I was using my knee lift which made all the quilting a breeze.

Broken Needles

When it came to constructing all the pieces I did have a little trouble. My zipper was a fraction too long for the pieces so come stitching time the metal zipper stopper was under my stitching line and I broke 2 needles in the process. Also as I didn’t really need to do the zipper end covers on mine as the tutorial has so that added more bulk when stitching the zipper which I think added to the broken needles.

Tablet Cover Back

Over all I’m stoked with how it turned out. Ok so a couple of drunken sailor stitching lines here and there but not to worry. The fabric I used for the lining and back was left over from when I covered my ironing board. It was offcuts the right size and ready go go. I liked the fabric anyway so it was perfect. I’m not sure what other challenges Leasa has planned but where possible I will take part in them depending on what the challenge involves and what my craft load is at the time. I never usually make items for me but I really enjoyed this project plus it got another item off my craft todo list.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Tablet Cover

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s