Another Christmas present complete. This is probably the most difficult Christmas gift I’m making this year. Certainly the one that has the most detail.
I planned it out in my mind it would be a flannelette top and binding with a polar fleece backing. I brought all the fabric hand stitched the stitchery into place on the top fabric and decided it just didn’t look right. It was a tiny circle on a big pink sheet. It needed more.
The Baby Bug kit also came with a rattle which I made Snug As A Baby Using the colour chart that came in the kit I traced the bug 6 times and back stitched each bug using random colours. I loved how it turned out. It really looks like a cute blanket now and not just something thrown together.
After sewing the sewing the blanket top and backing together I decided to make continuous bias binding. I made it once a couple years ago with my mum but she did all the calculating and measuring I just did all the cutting and stitching. That was for a similar size blanket (the blanket in my photo) but we made it in 2 lengths. I decided this time I would make the entire blanket in one length. Not a good idea. I googled to see what length I would need and saw I would need a 32 inch square (I think I got it wrong) The square was huge. When I stitched the 2 halves together to form the parallelogram it was longer than any ruler I had. I don’t know if my lines were fully straight when I marked them up and cut them. In the end it all worked out and I had ample to machine sew around the edge of the back before hand stitching it to the front. I have lots of binding left over to use in other projects now. I spent many hours in front of the tv stitching this blanket. It was well worth it in the end. I’m sure the little girl who gets this will love it.