Match The Pair

I saw this idea on Pinterest but there was no instructions how to make it so I thought I can work this out and here is what I have come up with.

It is your classic Match The Pair game but made with fabric instead of cardboard.

Match The Pair

Each tile is made up of 4 layers

  • 2 plain pieces cut 2.5″ square
  • 1 lining piece cut 2.5″ square
  • 1 printed piece cut 1.5″ square

First thing I did was find the fabric that would be the focal piece of the tiles. I went through my stash and looked for any fabric that had already been cut into 1.5″ strips. I needed the fabric to have a small print to get the most in a 1.5″ square. I did have to cut some larger fat quarters and other bits of fabric to get enough tiles. Admitdly I think I did make to many tiles so I think the most you would need is 15 different types of fabric to make 30 different tiles. I cut out all the centre squares (cutting out 2 from each print)

Secondly I cut the background and backing fabric I used plain white. On the front I think you need either white or a light colour which is different to the coloured fabric your using as your centre square so the centre square really stands out. On the back of the tile you could use any fabric.

Thirdly I cut out my lining fabric. I used white polar fleece as I have a large role of it. You could use pelon or wadding.

To assemble the tile

  1. Stack a lining square, a background square and a printed square togeather and appliqued the printed square using a zig zag stitch to the background square. I did all the tiles at once
  2. Trim the corners on each tile
  3. Put a backing square on top of the front of the tile and sraight stitch all around leaving a space for turning
  4. Turn each tile using a stuffing tool to get the corners sharp
  5. Slip stitch each tile closed

Iron the tiles afterwards. I gave the gift in a calico bag that I made.

Ok confession time. I did have to remake half the tiles. I’ve never appliqued with zig zag stitch before and I missed some of the edges. Some tiles I was able to salvage and hand stitch over the missed parts others had to be completely remade. My zig zag stitch improved on the second batch and I only to have fix a couple.

What I loved most about making this game was it shows the versatility of fabric. The precut fabric strips I used had origianally been cut with the plan of making something else yet someone else comes along with another project in mind and can use that same cut fabric. A piece of fabric has endless potential and possibilities.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s